Tuesday, December 21, 2010

TWD: Cardamom Crumb Cake

OK. This one is a sleeper. It's filled with yummy ingredients like cardamom and orange zest and a hint of coffee, but it looks so nondescript.


This is one cake that truly improves in taste the longer it sits. First day, it was okay. Second day, it was fragrant and moist. Third day, it disappeared. I barely got a photograph of a piece.


The coffee is hardly noticeable. The orange zest adds a brightness to the cake without overpowering it. This would make an excellent tea cake; it certainly made a great breakfast cake, with a few desserts thrown in for good measure.


Head over to Jill of Jill’s Blog for the recipe, and to the TWD blog to read the stories from the other bakers.

8 comments:

Cakelaw said...

I'm with you Judy - day one I thought "uh oh" ... Day two, it was perfect! Moist and delicious.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

We love this one, also. Yours looks a lot lighter than mine does.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

LOVED this one, too! In fact, I'd love a piece for breakfast right now! :)

Jessica said...

Pretty! Now I wish mine hadn't been all eaten within 12 hours! I might have to make another batch and let it sit! Happy Holidays!

Engineer Baker said...

I agree that the coffee wasn't noticeable - good thing since J doesn't like coffee! But I must admit, even day 1 I loved it, just because of the streusel!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this! I didn't notice the coffee either, but I loved the orange and cardamom combination.

Thanks for baking with me this week!

TeaLady said...

This was really good. I just made this afternoon so have to wait til 2mrw to see if it gets better. Thanks for this pick. Nice one!!

Mary said...

I need to try this cake again, with the orange zest this time. I love cardamom, just not this cake I guess. Glad you liked it and managed to get some pictures before it disappeared. Enjoy the holidays!
:)