Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TWD: Cake for the Eva Girls


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie special was the Apple-Coconut Family Cake. I'm sure it was delicious, but I'll never know unless I bake it a second time.


I had a dilemma. My daughter does not like cooked apples or coconut, so I had to decide whether or not to bake this cake. I wouldn't (or shouldn't) eat it all myself. So that meant I would have to share it, or, better yet, give it away.


Donate it to a good cause.


That good cause dropped right in my lap. My dear neighbor's long-time friend was participating in a bake sale on Saturday morning. It was the Eva Girls 5th Annual Bake Sale, with all the proceeds going to the Ribbons of Life Breast Cancer Foundation.

It had to be.

So, bright and early on Saturday morning, we drove over to Eva Street (hence, the name) and dropped off our goodies. My neighbor's son made ginger snaps and donated them for his bit of community service for his school.


I don't know the fate of the cake, or how much money these lovely ladies made, but I do know that at 8:30 in the morning, the crowds were already there and the baked goods were disappearing quickly.



I can say that the batter was delicious and the cake smelled heavenly. For once, I didn't have to bake it longer than the specified time; it just worked out perfectly.



For the recipe, stop by Amber's blog, Cobbler du Monde. For other opinions and outcomes, stop by the TWD blog.

5 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

What a great way to avoid those calories! I'm sure the Eva Girls really appreciated the desserts you and your neighbor's son made. The cake is gorgeous! :)

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful cake! The Eva Girls must have been happy to receive it.

Kayte said...

We are sort of dessert-ed out at the moment over here, so haven't gotten to this one yet, but yours looks inspiring enough as we love all the ingredients in this one. I also love that photo of green grass, sunny days...we are currently digging out from a snow three days ago. Yep, it's taken that long. I am so not a winter chick.

Jules Someone said...

What a fabulous ending to your cake! I made it and didn't eat it either.

TeaLady said...

Cake looks delicious. I made it, took it to a party and fortunately didn't bring must back.


Tasty. You WILL just have to make it again.