Friday, December 31, 2010

BBD35: Breads with Dried Fruit

Just in the nick of time, I have my bread for the last Bread Baking Day (35) for 2010. It's Fruit and Nut Cinnamon Rolls. (Really yummy, too.)


This month, BBD was hosted by Taste of Pearl City, who chose the theme of dry/dried fruits. I used dried sour cherries and cranberries along with toasted pecans.



I debated whether to make an entry, since I had already made my stollen for Daring Bakers, and I didn't think it was right to use it for both events.



Then, I found a recipe using the bread machine, and I was back in the game. I put the basic ingredients into the machine, then went out a ran errand, arriving back home in time to make the filling and nut topping.


When the bread comes out of the oven, you flip it over so the nut side is on top.


I don't know. I think I like the looks of the bottom rather than the top. What do you think?


Bottom side up:


Top side up:


It's delicious either way. Next time, I will combine the nuts with the fruits and then put a vanilla glaze on top.


The roundup for BBD35 will show up during the first week of January.


Thanks to Taste of Pearl City and to Zorra.


Fruit and Nut Cinnamon Rolls
(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Best Bread Machine Recipes)

3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup toasted pecans
3/4 cup mixed dried fruit bits

milk

powdered sugar glaze (optional)

Add the first seven ingredients to the bread machine. Select the manual dough cycle. When the cycle is complete, remove the dough, cover, and let it rest for 10 minutes

Filling: Combine the brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, and cinnamon. With a pastry blender, cut in the 1/3 cup butter until crumbly. Set aside.

Grease two 8x1 1/2-inch round baking pans. Sprinkle the pecans over the bottom.

On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into an 18x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle the filling over the dough; sprinkle with the fruit bits. Starting from the long side, roll up the dough, jelly-roll style, and seal the edge. Cut into 18 1-inch-thick slices. Place, cut sides down, into the prepared pans. There should be 9 slices per pan.

Cover and let rise about 45 minutes, until nearly double.

Brush with milk.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes, or until the rolls are golden. Cover loosely with foil for the last 5-10 minutes if they are getting too brown.

Loosen the edges and invert onto wire racks. Cool slightly. If desired, drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze.


1 comment:

zorra said...

When I´m looking at your very fluffy and perfect rolls I´m asking me, why I´ve never made them until now? ;-)