Friday, December 17, 2010

FFwD: Three for the Price of One

Time to get caught up on my FFwD posts.


For lunch last week, I chose to make the Leek and Potato Soup. I had half a fennel bulb that I added during the sautee part. I did a rough puree when all the veggies were soft, and added a splash of whole milk to finish it off.



This made several lunches, always nice on a gray day. (Sunny on day one, it seems.) Sitting for several days only improved the flavor, so it's a good soup to make ahead of time.







Last weekend I made the Sweet and Spicy Nuts. I had a leftover egg white from making Hollandaise sauce, so it was a perfect application. The nuts were a mixture of peanuts, hazelnuts, cashews, and almonds. Needless to say, they disappeared quickly. So far, this is my favorite December recipe.




I've decided to make this again to give as gifts when my quilt group meets again next Tuesday. I bought a giant jar of mixed nuts today, so this coming weekend I will be busy in the kitchen. Now, I just need to find some cute little bags to hold the nuts.







This week I made the beef daube. We'll be having several meals from this one, since it made quite a lot. For the wine, I used a bottle of 2005 Syrah from the Blackstone Winery in Kenwood, California. It gave the stew great depth of flavor. I also included the parsnips, and for a second meal, tossed in some baby Yukon gold potatoes.




Next time, I will cook the daube the extra thirty minutes that Dorie suggested. While the meat was tender, there were still some chewy pieces that would have benefited from a bit more time in the oven.


Only two more recipes to make for December. Not sure the cooked carrots will happen, since I'm the only one here who will eat them. If I can scale back the recipe, I may squeeze it in.

Be sure and stop by French Fridays with Dorie to see what everyone else cooked this week.


18 comments:

Kayte said...

Yahoo! Three for one. I think I will probably be doing 5 for 1 here at the end of the month as I do not seem to be making any progress along these lines. It was fun to see so many here...I kind of like that actually, one stop to see a lot! They all look great...want to make all of these for sure, and those carrots are definitely a happening thing as we love carrots!

Candy said...

I like the 3 for 1 too and did a two-fer myself. Everything looks delicious! I agree, the beef needed some extra time to further tenderize the meat.

Steph said...

I agree, it was fun to read all three together! Sounds like everything turned out yummy at your house!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Wow. You were busy! This all looks so good!
Trevor Sis. Boom.

Cher Rockwell said...

Wow - you made me very hungry. Nice marathon post!

Flourchild said...

It all looks super yummy! Such a great selection of recipes this month!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

A Dorie trifecta! :)

Cakelaw said...

These all look fab, but I agree, the nuts are the best.

Anne Marie said...

Your three-fer looks beautiful. Way to cook like a French woman!

Elaine said...

So great to see you posting again, Judy! They all look so good and I like that you tried the soup with fennel. I need to try that because this weekend would be a great weekend for soup.

Unknown said...

All three look fantastic. The nuts are a great way to use up an extra egg white lurking in the fridge. I'll remember to cook my daube a bit longer when I try it next week.

TeaLady said...

Everything looks so delicious. There have been so many rave reviews on the nuts I know I have to make them next.

The Daube looks perfect.

Lana said...

I can relate! I skipped last week and will probably have to do 3 for 1 next time:)
But it was fun reading about all three recipes in one post.
I am still to make the beef daube - looking forward to it with all this rain.

Steph said...

All your dishes look so yummy! I love that you added fennel to the soup!

Ann (napangel) said...

I loved all three of these recipes. And I agree with you, I'll cook the daube another 30 minutes as well.

luciacara said...

I'm looking forward to making the soup soon...haven't made it yet. Good to know you liked the addition of the fennel! We love it & like to try it as many ways as possible but I only know of a very few recipes that include it.

Unknown said...

What a great catch up! You rock sista!

Anonymous said...

Nice round up - I'm really looking forward to making the daube next week and the soup is scheduled for tomorrow. Don't skip the carrots; they're really good.