Monday, August 18, 2008

My Kitchen, My World: Home Country



OK. I didn’t forget about the event this week, I’m just running behind. My daughter returns to college in 2 days, so we’ve been overwhelmed with last minute shopping, travel arrangements, and going-away events. Let’s see, there was breakfast out with the knitting group, several dinners out this week, grandparent visiting for the weekend, meaning lunches and dinners out. Whew! I did manage to fit in one home-made meal: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. I figured that was pretty American, so that is my entry for this week’s My Kitchen, My World.




The main change I make with my meatloaf is that I bake it in a 9x9 pan, so it only takes about 45 minutes compared to the more traditional loaf pan-and-60 to 75 minutes approach. I’ve been using this recipe for decades, so it’s absolutely a requested family favorite.





Basic Meatloaf


1 1/2 pounds ground meat (beef, or a mixture of beef, pork, veal, etc.)

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, or 1/2 cup wheat germ, or 3/4 cup oats (I used Italian seasoned breadcrumbs this time)

1 large egg

1 cup milk

1/4 cup chopped onion, or the equivalent amount in dried onions

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon sage

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder



Heat oven to 350 F. Mix all ingredients together. (I usually mix the dry ingredients first, then add the wet ingredients, then mix in the meat.) Spread in an ungreased 8x8x2" or 9x9x2" pan. Bake 40 to 50 minutes.


Variation: spread mashed potatoes over the meatloaf and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Place back in oven until the cheese melts.



2 comments:

sefa firdaus said...

I'd love to have the recipe of the meatloaf. Thanks )

Shelby said...

love the variation - I think Grumpy would really enjoy this!