Saturday, August 30, 2008

MKMW: Merrye Olde England

I want to live in England.



I can’t get my fill of it.


I’ve traveled over there quite a few times, and my favorite thing to do is drive around the countryside, stopping in towns and villages and at unexpected sites along the way.



I’ve hiked in the countryside, fending off flocks of curious sheep, and from town to town in the pouring rain. I’ve stood in awe looking at the great cathedrals in Winchester and Exeter, and walked around the huge monoliths at Stonehenge. I’ve seen A Midsummer Night’s Dream in Stratford-upon-Avon, visited Jane Austen’s home, and explored Warwick Castle and Roman ruins.


My last visit was three years ago, when I went to visit my most important client in Oxford,


(Blenheim Castle, near Oxford)



a trade show in London,


historic sites in Bath,



some friends near Bournemouth, and anyplace I could stop in between. It’s time to return.



But thanks to Megan, of My Baking Adventures, I could revisit my experiences in a dish of food. This week’s MKMW was England, and I chose one of my favorite recipes, Welsh Rarebit (or Welsh Rabbit) served over sliced tomatoes and toast. I had it for lunch today and used a lovely pale ale for the liquid. You can substitute milk or cream, if you wish, for the beer.



There are several ways to prepare this, but basically, you melt about one tablespoon of butter in a saucepan, add 1 ½ to 2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir constantly over low heat to melt the cheese. Then you had about 1/3 to ½ cup of beer or milk, ¼ teaspoon dry mustard, dash of cayenne, ¼ salt, and ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. Add one well beaten egg, and stir until smooth and thickened. Serve over toast or crackers. You can play with the amount to suit your taste.



A big thanks to Susan for a fun event, and to Megan for a great choice.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I used to think that Welsh Rabbit really had rabbit in it. Now I know better - and it looks delicious.

Glad you enjoyed your trip down a wonderful memory lane.

Susie Homemaker said...

I'm with Megan - i seriously thought rabbit was involved!! Thanks for the lesson and the great photos!

Michelle Dargen said...

This looks better than my moms recipe! I will definitely be trying yours.