Tuesday, June 8, 2010

TWD: Tender Shortcakes

This year we celebrated Memorial Day by using our new grill and enjoying some of the last strawberries of the local growing season. Nothing is better than fresh, ripe strawberries, and shortcake is a great way to showcase them.

Except for making jam, I can't imagine why anyone would want to cook them and destroy their great flavor and texture. But, that's my opinion.


This particular variety of strawberry is the Monterey, a berry that is neither too sweet not too tart. Middle-of-the-road berry. Sadly, my nearby local stand has closed for the season, so I will have to go searching farther afield for more fresh berries. That said, I happen to live in the middle of strawberry country, so finding more shouldn't be too difficult.




Cathy, from The Tortefeasor, chose Dorie's Tender Shortcakes to kick off the summer season. I thirded the recipe and ended up with five good-sized shortcakes. Of course, the odd one had to be taste-tested, just in case.




This was potentially disastrous, because these shortcakes were so delicious that they almost didn't live long enough to be smothered in strawberries.





I grew up in the era that used those little sponge cakes for this dessert. Those cakes were good enough, and really soaked up the juices, but over the years my preferences have changed. A good biscuit-y shortcake just can't be beat, and this is definitely my go-to recipe.


If you want to try it yourself, stop by Cathy's blog for the recipe, then head over to the TWD blog to see what the other bakers did.



14 comments:

Paula said...

I agree these are "potentially disastrous." A very good way to put it. Yours look even more delicious with berries though.

Flourchild said...

This would be a great go-to recipe! Your cakes look great and the whipped topping is the added sweet touch!!

Cindy said...

What a great recipe, I just finished my last 'shortcake' for breakfast. It has got to be a great day!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I really need me some shortcakes like these. Dorie just is always grand.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your shortcakes look delicious! Luckily for me, strawberries are just coming into season here. - I love your plate - it's beautiful!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

so good! i agree with you about fresh strawberries....there is something very unappealing to me about cooked ones (except for jam, of course).

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed these! I grew up with the spongy based for strawberry shortcake too - storebought angel food cake, maybe a pound cake, etc. These are so much better. I don't think I can ever go back. Yours look wonderful! Thank you so much for baking along with me this week!

Mary said...

Your shortcakes look delicious, but I'm a bit jealous that you live in strawberry country! They are just coming into season here. I ate a few before I got any filling on mine too.
:)

Engineer Baker said...

Must annihilate the odd one out :) It's your duty as a baker! And I'm jealous - I can barely find good strawberries here, and I'm just 2 hrs north of you :(

Pamela said...

I agree...there's nothing like a biscuit for a shortcake! Looks great.

Tia said...

nice cakes!
Tia @ buttercreambarbie

Unknown said...

Your shortcakes look fantastic. Our strawberry season is just beginning in CT, but I have a feeling NM strawberries are tastier - less watered down by rain? Anyway, great job with these!

Leslie said...

There's nothing like fresh local strawberries, and after eating these shortcakes, I could never go back to those spongey cakes we are growing up. Your shortcakes look delicious, and I would have found it hard to limit myself to the taste testing shortcake. I would have found an odd-shaped one I had to eat, then wondered if it was better to give away two instead of three...a slippery slope with these little treats!

TeaLady said...

SO much better than the sponge cakes. Delicious. Yours look perfect. And yes, they don't live long here either.