Sunday, June 16, 2024

Detroit-style Pizza

 

It’s time for another bread challenge from the Bread Baking Babes.  This time, Karen, of Karen’s Kitchen Stories, asked the Babes to make a Detroit-style pizza.  This is a small-batch pizza that serves one very hungry person or two, if you must share.

I used the same-day dough approach and topped it with Muenster and Mozzarella cheeses, Cajun-style Andouille sausage, and homemade pizza sauce.  I did not add the jalapenos because the sausage was definitely hot enough!  A search for the traditional brick cheese turned up empty, although one local cheese shop had actually heard of it.  Even Whole Foods failed me!


 

This is a simple and relatively quick pizza to put together.  I had never drizzled hot honey on a pizza, so I did give it a try.  It was a nice bite, balancing the heat from the sausage.  I can see more of this pizza in my future, using a variety of toppings.


 

To quote Modernist Cuisine:  “You can’t talk about Detroit-style pizza without talking about cheese. The crust has the light, airy crumb and crispy bottom characteristic of all the bread-like pizza crusts. What differentiates a Detroit-style pizza is that the edge of the dough is bordered with cheese, applied so that it comes right up against the sides of the baking pan. In the oven, the cheese melts and bakes into a golden-brown, crunchy crust. The best pieces to get are the corners since they have two crispy sides to them, but the center ones are still plenty delicious.

And not any cheese will do. For a traditional Detroit-style experience, it has to be Wisconsin brick cheese mixed in equal parts with pizza cheese or cheddar cheese. Wisconsin brick cheese has a rich flavor best described as being like melted butter. If you can’t find brick cheese, use a combination of white cheddar and mozzarella.”  

 To read more comments and perhaps even try their recipe, follow this link to Modernist Cuisine.

 

Check out the other Babes for their take on a Detroit-style pizza, and stop by Karen's website to get the details and the recipe.

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

Karen said...

Yours looks great! I think I saw brick cheese here once in a Bristol Farms but it wasn't there this time!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Oh boy! I bet the Cajun-style Andouille was delicious! All that cheese looks divine!

hobby baker Kelly said...

The brick cheese sure was elusive! But oh, those cheesy edges are still fantastic.

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful!

Ooooh!! I bet that Cajun Andouille sausage was great!! I forgot about the hot honey - I bet it went very well with the Cajun sausage. I confess that I might have forgotten on purpose because I thought that "hot honey" meant "heated honey".... It made me think of the syrup drenching incident in "To Kill a Mockingbird". Because, while I know that Calpurnia was right, I'm right there with Scout and wonder why anyone would want to have "gone and drowned his dinner in syrup"....

While Walter piled food on his plate, he and Atticus talked together like two men, to the wonderment of Jem and me. Atticus was expounding upon farm problems when Walter interrupted to ask if there was any molasses in the house. Atticus summoned Calpurnia, who returned bearing the syrup pitcher. She stood waiting for Walter to help himself. Walter poured syrup on his vegetables and meat with a generous hand. He would probably have poured it into his milk glass had I not asked what the sam hill he was doing. - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, chapter 3


(But. What is it about hiding Brick cheese from all of us? I know categorically that I used to buy Brick cheese all the time at the supermarket.)