Sunday, January 31, 2010

January with Julia, parts 2 and 3

Before January is a complete memory, I wanted to share my two final recipes from Julia Child, both of which were smashing.

For the second week, I made the Cream of Mushroom Soup (page 40 of MAFC). I used crimini mushrooms for added flavor. The soup is a multistage process and slightly time-consuming, but well worth the effort. My taste tester pronounced it 'ridiculously delicious.' I agree.





For the third week, I prepared Old-fashioned Chicken Fricassee with Wine-flavored Cream Sauce, Onions, and Mushrooms.



I varied the recipe only slightly, using boneless chicken thighs and incorporating the onions and mushrooms at the beginning. I decided not to strain the sauce, since I wanted all the vegetables to remain, but I would do so if I were serving it to guests, since it makes a more lovely presentation.

This dish, too, was quite delicious, certainly one I would make again. The recipe can be found on page 258.



Alas, there was no week 4, but I may play catch-up in the near future if time allows. After all, I need to finish with a dessert course!

February appears to be Tyler Florence. Hmmm, February with Florence. Not bad.

1 comment:

Megan said...

What are you cooking up for February? Tyler has a lot of great recipes -