This edition of the Bread Baking Babes features Tabatière, or Snuff Box Bread, a flavorful bread from the Jura region of France. Coincidentally, when I was making this bread, I was watching the Tour de France, and the participants were cycling through the Jura Mountains.
I added some rye flour to the bread flour along with cool water, salt, and yeast. There were some challenges along the way, and I definitely researched the recipe on the Internet.
Challenge number 1 was creating the flap. The bread is supposed to proof upside down, I guess to hold the flap in place, but I thought that sounded strange, hence the research. Trying to turn it right side up before baking was another challenge. As you can see, there's a hint of a flap.
Challenge number 2 was scoring. I have a fear of scoring, or, more realistically, a fear of deflating, so my scoring showed up as texture. During my research, I noticed that not every baker scored their Tabatière, so I didn't feel so bad. Count me in the camp with the smooth-topped Tabatière.
I also decided to make four small loaves, and they were perfect for one person and made excellent sandwiches. Other than the shaping issues, they turned out great.
August's Kitchen of the Month is Cathy from Bread Experience. You can find the recipe on her website. You can also visit the other Babes and see their results.
Blog from OUR Kitchen – Elizabeth
Karen’s Kitchen Stories – Karen
A Messy Kitchen – Kelly
My Diverse Kitchen – Aparna
Bread Experience - Cathy (Kitchen of the Month)
Thyme for Cooking - Katie
My Kitchen in Half Cups – Tanna



2 comments:
I can kind of see your scoring! And yes, flipping it over was kind of a challenge. Glad you joined in!
How cool that you were watching the Tour de France while making this bread. I thought proofing it flap side down was a bit tricky as well. I'll have to try the smooth-topped version some time. Thanks for baking along!
Post a Comment