Tuesday, April 23, 2024

TWD/BWD: Double-Decker Salted Caramel Cake

 


Our second April recipe for Tuesdays with Dorie was the Double-Decker Salted Caramel Cake.  Apparently, there are quite a few April birthdays in this baking group!  (Actually, one of my daughters has an April birthday!)

This cake tasted to me like an old-fashioned cake doughnut, lightly spicy with a touch of caramel.  However, it took nearly twice as long to bake as the recipe suggested.  At 45 minutes, I could tell immediately that the center wasn't close to being baked. so it stayed in the oven for a good 20 extra minutes.

The other pet peeve I have about any cake, is that there is never enough frosting to both fill and cover the cake.  The recipe needs to be doubled to accomplish that.  So, there is a thin layer of filling, and a cake that is frosted 3/4 around.  (Not pictured in the photos.)  I did sprinkle some cocoa nibs on top, which added a delightful crunch.  Next time, I would also sprinkle some on the filling.

The caramel swirl showed up only in the top layer, but it was still delicious.

 


I liked the cake, but it was a lot for one person to eat.  I made notes in the cookbook about how to deal with that next time, as well as baking times and frosting amounts.

 

Head over to the Tuesdays with Dorie website to see comments from the other bakers.

5 comments:

Kayte said...

Your cake looks festive and pretty! I always make notes in my cookbooks as well, particularly in the recipes that are group bakes as everyone always comes up with such clever and creative ideas about how to enhance a recipe. I made a mini, and it baked for the same time as she said for the whole one so I was thinking that perhaps the whole one would take longer, good to have that confirmed, thank you. Fun that you have a daughter with an April birthday, I always think April birthdays are the best...just a really lovely time of year to be celebrating.

Mardi Michels said...

Your cake looks lovely - I wondered about the frosting too (I used a different one) and mine was nowhere near cooked at 45 minutes either... A nice enough cake but SO MUCH CAKE!

Shirley @ Everopensauce said...

You put it so nicely about the many issues we've encountered while baking this cake. Me too, my daughter's birthday is in April. The same for my husband. But they won't like this cake; it's overly sweet for my crew.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

a 9-inch cake, no matter how yummy, is just so huge, right? my 6-inch cake pans get all the use. I also really think baking this as two separate layers is the way to go...just too much time in the oven for a cake, imo. hope you daughter had a lovely birthday!!

Diane Zwang said...

My cake also took extra time to bake. Happy Birthday to your daughter.