Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Bolo do Caco (Madeiran Tile Bread)

This month, the Babes have taken a virtual trip to Madeira to sample some Bolo do Caco, or, Tile Bread.  Elizabeth, of Blog from OUR Kitchen, introduced us to this delicious bread.  

They are circular yeasted flatbreads made with sweet potatoes, so they're basically a Portuguese-style sweet potato roll.  I was able to select some white sweet potatoes for my biweekly veggie/fruit box.  (I had one leftover that I turned into chips.)  The bread can be baked in the oven, on a grill, or on the stove top.  I used my comal, since it perpetually sits on one of my burners ready for the next tortilla or flatbread.


The dough came together nicely, and didn't take too long to cook on the heated comal.  They were terrific toasted and slathered with butter.  But, then, what bread isn't?!



Stop by the Babes' websites to see what clever changes they made to these traditional flatbreads, and, of course, if you want to make them yourself, you can find a great recipe on Elizabeth's blog.


 



3 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

Oh, I keep wanting to find a comal or tawa for flatbread baking! Look at that gorgeous browning you got on those!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your flatbreads look beautiful! I love the golden color.

Elizabeth said...

They look perfect! Good idea to use your comal!! (Duh, why didn't I think of using our tava?! Or even our cast iron griddle?)

You really can't miss if you slather with butter, can you?

(Kelly, if you have an Indian supermarket in your town, you should be able to get a tava. We got ours in India Town. There was a large selection. We use it ALL the time to make chapatis. I cannot believe that it didn't dawn on me to use it. Ha. Clearly, I got waylaid by the mention of "tile".)