Friday, December 23, 2022

Not the usual corn bread

 


The Kitchen of the Month for December was Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories.  

All the babes made Corn Bread, but not the usual kind. This was a yeasted bread using corn flour, not corn meal, so it had a more bread-like texture even though it tasted like corn bread.  My efforts started out promising.  The initial proofing was near-perfect -- high rise and lots of bubble action.  However, that all disappeared when I formed it into a  loaf.  I was concerned about over proofing the dough, so, quite possibly, it was under proofed, even though the second rise went over an hour.  Needless to say, the end result was disappointing.  Tasty, but not what I wanted.  Since I invested in the corn flour (thank you, Amazon), I will probably try baking it again, and proof it for a longer time.  For comparison.  I does make delicious toast, so it won't go to waste.

 

For the recipe and instructions, go to Karen's website.  And then, visit the other Babes, who all made beautiful loaves!!

Check out the other Bread Baking Babes:

 


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think that all that actual corn (I think you added actual corn niblets anyway) made the yeast go crazy and cause the dough to rise fiendishly quickly.

What a mercy it is that this bread makes such good toast!

I hope your next attempt(s) work(s) better!

hobby baker Kelly said...

Oh, I missed this post! Toast fixes a lot of baking ills. I would make this again just for the toast. Best version of English muffin bread I have tried yet.