Friday, February 25, 2011

FFwD: Short Ribs in Red Wine and Port

Every so often, I try out a new short rib recipe, so I was really looking forward to trying this one from AMFT. I had everything on hand except the meat, and I was lucky to find some gorgeous boneless short ribs at the grocery.


The whole house smelled so good while these were cooking. Even the dog was confused -- it smelled like dinner time, but it was daylight. Something was just not right!


Once these were cooked, I chilled them for about two days, then removed the congealed fat, heated the remaining liquid, and broiled the meat until it was heated through.


The meat was very tender and I loved the hint of the star anise. My daughter didn't like that flavor as much, but she did allow as how the meat was very tasty.



I used a Central Coast Syrah from Cantara Cellars, and a lovely, fruity port from Kelsey See Canyon Vinyards in San Luis Obispo. Adding the port, created such a wonderful depth of flavor in the sauce that I will definitely use this recipe again.

Take a look at the French Fridays with Dorie website to see what the other cooks and bakers did.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree that the smell was amazing! We loved this at our house!

Adriana said...

I love the picture of the wine and port simmering away in the big Corningware! Almost used my inherited one for this recipe because I didn't think the ribs and veggies would fit in my 5-quart cast iron. Your ribs look fantastic!

Unknown said...

I don't have much experience cooking short ribs but this was a great recipe. They smelled good tasted good and I loved the gremolata.

Cher Rockwell said...

This did leave the house smelling pretty wonderful, I must admit! Very nice.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Glad these turned out so well for you! My dog was confused too...or maybe just hopeful that I would drop something for her! :)

Mary said...

I agree....this is definitely on the make again list.

Betsy said...

My dog was hanging out in front of the broiler while I browned the ribs. She was confused why I wasn't making this for her. I loved the sauce on this.

Anonymous said...

Our dog is (unfortunately) on a special diet, so we cook all her food. As a consequence, whenever we cook meat, she thinks it's for her. She kept coming into the kitchen while this was cooking and was very disappointed when her hopes didn't pan out.

I loved this braising liquid and want to try it with other cuts of meat, too.

tricia s. said...

Nana and I really enjoyed this week's recipe. She had cooked ribs before but it was new to me- as was the braising concept. Love love loved how tender the meat was and I will be revisiting this technique much more. Great post !

Flourchild said...

Im sure your dog loved the smell of the ribs! They look great!

Kayte said...

Wow, I really need to make these. You make them sound so wonderful. Love that you included the wines you used.