Thursday, April 8, 2010

BB: Currant Pecan Oatmeal Cookies


I must admit that I am not a big fan of raisin oatmeal cookies.

Give me chocolate chip or peanut butter or specialty cookies any day.

Oatmeal raisin?

Pass.


However, being the trooper I am, and reading all the glowing reviews about these cookies, I put them on the baking schedule. My daughter even agreed to help -- always a surprise and a pleasure.




So, I decided to make only half the recipe, since I didn't really need 30+ cookies hanging around the house. As it was, half a recipe made 19.


While I was creaming the butter and sugar, my daughter measured out the dry ingredients. She remembered the 3/4 cup of flour, then apparently forgot we were halving it, so added the full amount of cinnamon and baking powder. I fished out enough of the baking powder, but left in the cinnamon. Oh yum! What a tasty mistake! I highly recommend doubling the cinnamon.


Instead of raisins, I used currants.


While my daughter scooped out the dough, I slightly flattened the tops. The cookies didn't spread while baking, so we ended up with wonderful, thick oatmeal cookies. We both liked them, so it's just as well there were only 19.



Now, I can finally say that I have found an oatmeal raisin cookie that I truly like. I will be making these again. Thanks goes to Leslie of Lethally Delicious for a brave choice (I don't think oatmeal raisin cookies are her favorite either.)

Tune in to the Barefoot Blogger site to see how the others baked. For the recipe, head over to Leslie's blog.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

These look perfect! I'm so glad they were a hit for you. I totally agree about doubling the cinnamon. Thanks for baking with me this week!

Future Grown-Up said...

Love the substitution of currants. Your cookies look absolutely delicious. I would make them again myself also with double the cinnamon too.

Kayte said...

Pass??? Pass??? Yes, pass those right on over here...one of our favorite all time cookies of all. Yours look delicious.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Not me. I never pass up a raisin oatmeal cookie. I'll take two of these, please. ;)