Friday, August 16, 2024

Jamaican Coco Bread

 

 


Our Kitchen of the Month for August is Aparna, of My Diverse Kitchen.  Aparna asked us to bake Jamaican Coco Bread, a popular bread in Jamaica and the Caribbean region.

It's a simple bread to make, using flour, yeast, and coconut milk with a touch of sweetness.  I oftentimes have leftover coconut milk in the fridge; usually, I freeze it, but this time I used it for this bread.  I also added an egg to the dough during mixing process.  The dough is really nice to work with.  A mixture of melted butter and coconut oil is brushed over the buns before baking, and, I also brushed the leftover butter mixture over the buns as soon as they came out of the oven.

These buns are delicious toasted, and also make yummy sandwiches.  Yesterday, I made tuna sandwiches with them to celebrate Julia Child's 112th birthday.  It was one of her favorite quick lunches.

 


This is definitely one bread I plan on making again, especially since I can utilize the leftover coconut milk!

 

Stop by the websites of the other Babes to see what they did!

 

 

5 comments:

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

So that's how you got that lovely golden color. I didn't use an egg. Love the tuna sandwich!

Elizabeth said...

Those look so so so good. The colour is fantastic. Like Cathy, I didn't use an egg.

And. Suddenly, I neeed a tuna sandwich. Clearly, we will have to get some more coconut milk (I used the last tin in the house) so I can make more Coco Bread.

Katie Zeller said...

Such a lovely golden color. These would be great for picnics

hobby baker Kelly said...

That sandwich looks so yummy! And I loved being able to use up my frozen coconut milk, often times it just get forgotten in the freezer until it is too old and I throw it out.

Karen said...

Yours look so beautiful. You achieved such a nice color!