Friday, February 16, 2024

Babes Bake a Gneiss Bread

 


Kelly, of A Messy Kitchen, was our Kitchen of the Month for February.  Kelly challenged us to make Black Sesame Shokupan, using a different technique for making milk bread:  yudane (yoo-dah-nay).  You combine flour and boiling water and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight. The resulting bread is soft and tender and has a longer shelf life, although, to be honest, this type of bread doesn't last very long.

We had the choice of making a marbled bread using black sesame paste, or, a more traditional looking bread.  I couldn't resist the marbled bread!  I bought a jar of black sesame paste (before the recipe had been added to Kelly's post), which is a good thing because I need it for other bakes (orange-black sesame cookies, for one).


 

I had fun creating the marbled effect.  The end result was glorious!  Each slice shows a different pattern, and each slice is truly a work of art.  I should have photographed each slice to show the progression (overkill maybe?).  I was truly sad when the bread was gone.  Definitely a bread I will make again.  (Thinking of County Fair time this summer.)



This was a terrific choice for our first 2024 challenge.  Forgive the geological humor in the title, but I couldn't resist.

For the recipe, go to Kelly's website.

And, to see how the other Babe's did, check out their websites as well. 


 

6 comments:

Karen said...

I had to look up gneiss, lol. How lucky to have found that tahini! Your bread is beautiful.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your marbling is gorgeous! Black tahini... that must be the key. Thanks for the tip!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Beautiful loaf! Terrific crumb.

hobby baker Kelly said...

Absolutely perfect! I love the more vivid color from the tahini.

Elizabeth said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. That is the marbling I was hoping for (although, with using brown sesame seeds, it wouldn't have been nearly as spectacular). How brilliant are you to have used tahini?

Katie Zeller said...

I can see the temptation of progressive photos.... the marbling is beautiful!