Thursday, February 16, 2023

BBB: Cypriot Flaounes

 


 

Our Kitchen of the Month for February was Kelly of A Messy Kitchen.  Kelly asked us to bake Flaounes, a filled Easter bread from the Mediterranean region, specifically Cyprus.  It’s a beautiful bread, filled with a cheese mixture and raisins, and covered with sesame seeds.  I had no problems with making the bread, itself, but, after taking a bite, I knew they were destined for the trash bin.  There was one ingredient (I suspect) that gave both the filling and the bread an unpleasant, bitter taste that wouldn’t go away.  Perhaps it’s an acquired taste, but mastic is not for me.  If I were to bake these again, I would opt for the substitute flavors that Kelly suggests.

For the background story and the recipe, visit Kelly’s blog for more information.  And, stop by the websites of the other Babes to get their take on this interesting bread.

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

I think it is definitely an acquired taste! I do like it, but I think I will go add a note to start with a smaller amount. I hate having to bin things that we didn't like.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Mastic must be the flavor I'm tasting that I'm not too fond of either. I've never tasted mastic or mahleb so I wasn't sure what the bitter flavor was. I even thought it could be the dried mint. I added some cream cheese and honey and that seems to make them enjoyable.

Karen said...

I'm pretty sure it's the mastic. I left it out of the dough. Yours sure are pretty!

Katie Zeller said...

All the work! What a shame...

Elizabeth said...

Goodness how sad! And they look so perfect too.

(Mastic does stink, doesn't it? It's so piney!)