Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Non/Nan (Uzbek Nan Bread)

 


 

February presented yet another adventure in bread baking.  This time it was Uzbek Stamped Bread (Non/Nan).  The dough itself was easy to make and very flavorful when baked.  I did brush the loaves with oil and sprinkled the tops with nigella seeds, which all promptly leaped off when removed from the oven.  So much for decoration.


 

While the other bakers sent off for authentic Uzbek bread stamps with beautiful patterns, I stuck with the original, time-tested stamp.   Call me poor, lazy, a skinflint, or all of the above.


 

I swear the loaves looked perfect right before they went into the oven, but that pesky old oven-spring obliterated the fantastic design.

If you want to see what the finished bread is supposed to look like, stop by the blogs of the other Babes:


 

 

And, if you want to give it a try yourself, you can find the recipe at Tanna’s website, My Kitchen in Half Cups.

 

6 comments:

hobby baker Kelly said...

Yeah, good old bread stamp 3000 (fork)! 🥰 Mine got all springy poofy too and obliterated my center stamp.

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

I had trouble with that pesky oven spring as well. Just when you get the oven spring down, someone goes and throws us a loop by making flatbread that won't stay flat. Lol

Karen said...

Isn't it funny! When we want oven spring we get a pancake, and when we don't we get massive oven spring! I'm sure it tasted great!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

😂🤣 Never in all my baking have I thought of oven spring being a pest! But right you are. I had one bake that did the same. I think it was because I didn’t make my indent large enough before stamping. Your bake confirms these do look like bagels. I hope it was tasty, then everything is good. Looks pretty and good crumb.

Elizabeth said...

Time tested stamps do the trick! For one of our loaves, even though I have two official stamps, I used one of our fancy fondue forks (we were the only ones who wanted my parents-in-law's fondue forks!) with tines that look quite similar to your fork's tines.

Too bad about the seeds jumping off and the dough being so wonderfully active that the design disappeared. But, ultimately, who cares? The bread looks delicious!

Katie Zeller said...

Oven spring can be so unreliable.....