Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TWD: Blood Orange Loaf Cake


This episode of Baking with Julia was supposed to feature a lemon loaf cake, but after reading some of the comments on the blog, my perverse side kicked in. While I could have used lemons, either regular or Meyer, I chose blood oranges, freshly picked from my backyard tree. I have lemon trees, too, so there were choices to be made.


One other change I made to the recipe was to rub the zest into the s
ugar before adding the wet ingredients. This really intensifies the flavor by infusing the sugar with the citrus. I highly recommend it.


From that point on, I followed the recipe exactly.


The cake baked for 60 minutes.

The end result was a light, moist, citrus-y cake that was really delicious. The top had a sugary crust, so it really didn't need any additional amendments.



On the down side, I wasn't too thrilled with the tunneling, but it didn't affect the flavor whatsoever. I'll just remember not to over-fold the next time I make it.




I might even try a lemon version, although I have to say the blood orange one was exceptional.




Our hosts this time were Truc of
Treats and Michelle of The Beauty of Life. Stay tuned for May's offerings.

Stop by the Leave Your Link site to read the other comments.






7 comments:

Saira said...

Hey .... I made an Orange Loaf cake too :-) your cake looks lovely :-)

smarkies said...

freshly picked blood oranges - what a treat!

Danna said...

I am not sure if I read it or not, but are they from your tree? Either way, really cool idea!!!

Danna

Dawn said...

Great idea to use blood oranges!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Wonderful idea! Do you know, I am not sure I have ever tasted a blood orange! But the idea & color of them is so intriguing!! I was disappointed in the tunnels I got as well.

Cher Rockwell said...

I totally have citrus envy - the Northeast doesn't allow for such amazing things to happen in our back yard.
Very nice!

Cakelaw said...

Rubbing the zest into the sugar was a great idea. I also like the idea of using blood oranges in this cake.