Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hildegard's Spelt/Oat Bread

This month I had an opportunity to bake with the Bread Baking Babes and Friends. Astrid of Paulchen's FoodBlog chose Hildegard's Spelt Bread. You can find the recipe on her blog.

That's Hildegard of Bingen, actually one of my favorite people to learn about. I love listening to the music she wrote and reading about the interesting things she did.



I also had spelt flour in the freezer that I needed to use up, so it was a perfect recipe.


Shaped dough rising


The only missing ingredient was spelt flakes. I searched several local stores, but was unable to locate any. So, I substituted oatmeal flakes.

I also put sesame seeds on the top of the loaves.


They promptly fell off when I took the loaves out of the pan. grrrr

Cooling loaves



This is a substantial bread with a nice crumb and a nutty flavor.


I had no issues while making this. All the ingredients came together nicely, and the dough had a good texture for the final short knead. I did bake it an extra ten minutes or so after taking the internal temperature, as I was looking for something close to 190F.



I bet it will be delicious toasted and buttered.

No comments: