Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Flatbread

breadbakingday 7


Bread Baking Day was created by Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte
for bakers who are passionate about bread. This month's event (BBD#7) is hosted by Petra of Chili und Ciabatta, and for her theme, she chose flatbreads. Just a few days before Petra announced her choice, I had come across an interesting recipe for a layered flatbread that I wanted to try, so the timing was perfect. I modified the recipe slightly for ingredients and I cooked the bread on my comal, since I make tortillas fairly often. I served it with some cheese-stuffed poblano peppers, but a few days later, I had some leftover spicy pork filling, which, wrapped inside the flatbread, was really delicious. Hope you give it a try.




Algerian Flatbread
(adapted from Gourmet, February 2008)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups water

1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon turneric

Dough: Stir together the flour, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the water until a soft dough forms. If necessary, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time. (You may not use all the water.) Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead,
dusting with just enough flour to keep dough from sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.

Form dough into a ball and coat with 2 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough stand at warm room temperature for 1 hour.

Stir together cumin, paprika, turmeric, and the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in a small bowl.


Shaping: Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and work with one piece at a time, keeping the remaining pieces covered with plastic. Flatten each piece of dough into a disk and roll it out as thinly as possible (around 9 inches) on a lightly floured surface. Spread t teaspoon of spiced oil on the dough with your fingertips, then roll up tightly into a long cylinder and coil into a tight spiral. Transfer to a large sheet of parchment paper, then loosely cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.

Cooking: Using another sheet of parchment paper, roll out 1 spiral of dough into a round
approximately 6 inches in diameter.


Heat a dry, large cast-iron skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot, then cook the flatbread, turning once, until puffed and browned in spots, 3 to 4 minutes in all.

Transfer to a plate and cover with a kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining pieces, stacking them underneath the towel.



These are best when freshly made, but can be reheated successfully. They're not overly spicy either, and it might be fun to play around with the spice mixture and try different combinations.

Thanks to Petra for hosting this month's event. Be sure to check out all the other flatbreads when they are posted in early March.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

I had my eye on this recipe too! I'm glad it turned out.

Deborah said...

Judy,

I was just reading through some comments on my blog, and you asked where in New Mexico I am from. I just noticed that you are from New Mexico too! I grew up in Farmington. Lived there for the first 18 years of my life. You?