Monday, November 1, 2010

Spicy Pumpkin Pie

My adoring fan has requested that I share my favorite pumpkin pie with everyone. Traditionally, I bake this on Halloween.

Why not Thanksgiving? 1. I want to savor this pie on its own and not have it compete with other desserts. 2. I make a sinfully delicious pecan pie for Thanksgiving. 3. I experiment with other pumpkin desserts that are not pie.

So there.



My spicy pie has the usual beginning.




The filling looks the same as many other pumpkin pies, but contains a heap of spices. Enough to make your tongue tingle. (That's about as hard to type as to say.)




The next step is to let the pie cool. Always difficult. Those are knife marks, by the way. Two, because the pie had to bake a bit longer than usual. (I'm in control of the doneness, not the recipe.)



At last, it is ready to devour, with some whipped cream and a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon. Because my daughter does not like pumpkin pie, I get this all to myself. Oh yes.

Here's the recipe in case you want to indulge in spiciness.


Pilgrim Pumpkin (or Squash) Pie
(adapted from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, 1963)

one unbaked 9" pie shell
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 can pumpkin (usually Libby's)
1 large can evaporated milk
2 eggs, well beaten

Heat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients except pie shell. Beat until smooth, then pour into shell.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F, and bake until custard is set, between 45 and 60 minutes. Test after 45 minutes with a clean knife. If it comes out clean, the pie is ready; if not, bake a bit longer.


Simple, easy, and spicy. (Note: I usually use heaping measures of the spices.)

6 comments:

Mary said...

Mmm, I think I'm ready for another pumpkin pie, but I have to see if I can find a fresh pumpkin. Yours sounds good!
:)

Megan said...

Ha ha - see, if I make the pie, I too get to eat the whole thing myself. No one else here eats pumpkin pie.

Wait, maybe that's not such a good idea. My clothes won't appreciate it.

Although my brother wants me to BUY a Costco pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.The nerve! I'll make this one - and tell him to just suffer through a homemade pie!

Paula said...

I like your idea about not making pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Hadn't thought of that, but my family goes crazy for it at other times but it often goes wanting with ten other desserts around.

TeaLady said...

I love a spicy pumpkin pie. too often you cannot taste anything because there just aren't enough spices. This one looks great.

If I didn't make pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving AND Christmas my family would just leave.

Anonymous said...

I have made this pie for years! everyone loves it because of the spices! it is a keeper!

julie said...

Can use regular milk