Tuesday, November 23, 2010

TWD: July Revisited and It is Picante

Way back in the summertime, July to be precise, one of the Tuesdays with Dorie selections was Tarte Noire, a simple shortbread-crust tart filled with luscious chocolate ganache.


I really wanted to participate, but I was somewhere in Colorado, returning from my road trip to Nebraska and New Mexico. Without the where-with-all to bake anything.



I had all the ingredients in the pantry, including this delicious chocolate. I felt sure I could squeeze it in sometime during the month of July.


But, if you participate in TWD, you know that it is a rare thing to either make something twice or fit it in after the due date. Every week it's something new.


Thankfully (no pun intended), Laurie tucked in a Rewind for November, and immediately, I knew that I would finally be able to make Tarte Noire with a dark chili chocolate filling. The hardest part was making the crust, which really isn't hard at all, except for the chilling and baking part. The waiting part. That's what was difficult.



I sprinkled some ancho chili powder over the top of the baked tart to complement the chili-chocolate filling.


To be honest, it isn't terribly picante/spicy, but occasionally there's a bite with a bit of warmth to it.



This is so delicious and elegant that I will have to remember to make this tarte for more formal occasions. Although, there is a large mint-flavored chocolate bar in the pantry, quietly requesting to be used the next time round, and sooner rather than later.


Since all the TWD bakers are making something different this week, it will be fun to stop by and see what each one chose to bake.

10 comments:

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love your choice. Chocolate gets to me, every time.

A lovely gracious tart. Looks great.

Flourchild said...

I remember making this one! What a great choice, you can't go wrong with chocolate!!

Unknown said...

A chocolaty tart with a warm bite sounds perfect at this time of year. Mint sounds fantastic too, and it reminds me that it's almost time for my annual After Eights feeding frenzy.
:)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

It's gorgeous! And I would totally dig into a slice of that right about now! :)

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

mmm that looks fantastic. I used the orange chocolate when I made it. Fun rewind! :)

Tia said...

soo smmoooooooooooth! great job.

Kayte said...

Wow, hot stuff!! Pun intended. I figured you would pick something chocolate over here...just had a hunch. My guys loved this one...maybe should rewind it again soon here as well. Happy Thanksgiving!

Cakelaw said...

I love the chilli/chocolate idea - it is a combination that fascinates me, but the only way that I have tried it so far is in a Max Brenner's hot chocolate. This tart looks beautiful - especially with the little red chilli flakes on top.

TeaLady said...

I remember this was such a tasty tarte. Chili/chocolate would be a change from the usual.

Hindy said...

I'm a little addicted to chili chocolates at the moment. This sounds like a great vaiation to the recipe. Your slice is beautiful!