Friday, October 29, 2010

FFwD: Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake


The final FFwD recipe for the month of October was Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake, an easy-to-make cake loaded with apple chunks.




I chose four different kinds of apples for this cake: Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, and Granny Smith.




Basically, you whisk together a simple batter of flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and melted butter. While the recipe calls for rum, I substituted Amaretto. When the batter is prepared, you fold in the chunks of the apples you selected and pour it into an 8-inch springform pan.



Bake for about an hour, cool,



then slice.



I know for sure that this cake won't last long. Because it is so easy to make, it's also a great dessert for parties and get-togethers.



Head over to French Fridays with Dorie to see how the other bakers fared. All of the recipes for our inaugural month were delicious and fun to make. Perhaps Dorie would be willing to choose our selections more often!





9 comments:

Trevor Sis Boom said...

My cake didn't make it past the next morning. One of the few sweets I was not allowed to pawn off at work. Yours looks so great!
Trevor Sis. Boom.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

I loved how easy and YUMMY this one was! :)

Flourchild said...

Your cake looks great! It was such a easy and tasty recipe! Im glad you enjoyed it too!

Leslie said...

This looks luscious! I could go for a slice of it right now! It's on my to bake list for this weekend. It would be great to have Dorie choose the recipes from time to time, wouldn't it?

Unknown said...

Your cake looks incredible - and so easy too. Nice shot of all the different apples!

Elaine said...

I bet it was delicious with the amaretto. It looks wonderful!

Kayte said...

I made it twice trying to get it to be more cake-like than just full of apples...no luck, it is just chock full of apples...and that turned out to be a good thing as the guys devoured all of it...even without any whipped cream or anything. It was good. Yours looks dainty and beautifully delicious.

luciacara said...

Pretty cake! Thanks for posting about the Amaretto...I used a good DR rum but DH would have preferred Amaretto. Next time I will try it!

TeaLady said...

I loved this cake. So versatile with all the different apples that could be used.

Beautiful, by the way.