Monday, November 22, 2010

FFwD: Caramel Topped Semolina Cake

One of the November selections for French Fridays with Dorie is a caramel-topped semolina cake.

Or, in other words, fancied-up cream of wheat.



It's a pretty tasty, simple dessert. Very similar to how I fix leftover cream of wheat cereal, except for the caramel top.



I was all excited to see how the final dessert would look, but when I flipped it out of the baking pan, it was flat as a pancake. I suspect it needed to cook a bit longer, since the sides of the cake adhered to the pan while the middle part flopped out onto the plate.




It still tasted fine, even cold the next day.

I might make it again sometime; or I might just continue dumping a bunch of brown sugar and milk on leftover cream of wheat to save some time.

If you visit the FFwD website, you can read how the others fared with their desserts.

1 comment:

Kayte said...

LOL I am laughing at your saving time technique. I am on the fence about doing this one, which means I probably won't as no one here likes CofW...shhhh...don't let that get out as I know it is an icon, but we aren't fans. I'm thinking making it into a cake might or might not make it palatable. On the fence. I have to say, however, yours looks good.