Tuesday, August 10, 2010

TWD: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream

This week we were treated to a cool, rich ice cream, courtesy of Katrina of Baking and Boys.

It's been a cool summer here in southern California, but that's the way I like it. Foggy mornings, pleasant days, and cool evenings. I'll never understand why everyone here wants hot, sunny weather. It's miserable! Plus, none of the houses come with air conditioning, so the internal house temperatures can reach 90 degrees or above, with no relief.

Yep. I'll take my foggy mornings and my ice cream.



The only change I made in the recipe was how I mixed everything together. No zillion bowls for me.

I mixed the chopped bittersweet Valrhona chocolate and the hot cream in one bowl. Then I combined the eggs, sugar, milk, cream, and pinch of salt in my saucier, and cooked it until the mixture reached 172 degrees F., upon which I poured it over the ganache.


After chilling, the resulting ice cream base was mighty thick, like pudding. My trusty ice cream maker did a lovely job of converting the pudding to ice cream. This is really rich, so one little ball is all you need.




It's likely we'll eat most of this ice cream, but I'm saving a small portion for another project, about which I'll post in a week or so. For the recipe, head over to Katrina's blog; for comments and ice cream variations, go to the TWD blog.

11 comments:

Pamela said...

The ice cream was definitely a rich treat. Whatever you've got sprinkled on top looks yummy! And keep up with the walking!! :o)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

It looks just so good. It is rich and yours looks that way.

Tia said...

ahh, the intrigue... what could this future project be? yum!

Amber Marie said...

This looks great! I like that you mixed everything together - the less bowls the better!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Looks yummy! My bf lives in San Diego, so I'm always jealous when he tells me what the weather's been like! :)

Shandy said...

One scoop was all I needed and what great flavor! Your ice cream scoop looks delicious.

Btw, sounds like we are having the same kind of weather here in the NW as you are having. Slugs are enjoying my vegetable garden just a little TOO much.

Paula said...

You are my kind of cook. Always looking for a better, easier way to make good food.

Katrina said...

Love that first photo and the dish the ice cream is in.

Thanks for churning along with me this week!

Lillian said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the leftover ice cream!

TeaLady said...

Yes it ws thick, but that just made it a better ice cream. ANd yes, just a little is all you need of this rich ice cream.

Jeannette said...

This ice cream was a thick and rich treat!! Yours looks great!