Saturday, August 14, 2010

Daring Cooks: Pierogi


The August 2010 Daring Cooks’ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n’ Bites and Anula of Anula’s Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.


I've always wanted to make pierogi, but, until now, I never had an actual recipe to try. Thanks to Liz and Anula, I can cross these off of my to-make list.


I chose the Russian style pierogi, and made a filling of ground beef, minced onions, and minced mushrooms, bound together with sour cream. Sort of like beef stroganoff.




The rolled dough was so thin, I could see through it, but it was nice and pliable, and forgiving.




My daughter and I were really hungry the night I made these, so, while I filled the pierogi, she crimped the edges with a fork. It was nice to have her help.




We decided to eat them fresh from the boiling water, although I did manage to save a few to fry. Well, the fried ones were so good that they disappeared before I could say 'get the camera.'




While, at first, pierogi might seem a bit labor-intensive, with practice they can be made more quickly. They can also be frozen for future use, so I think it would be a great project for family and friends; sort of like making tamales together.


I apologize for the lack of stunning plating and photography, but we were hungry and these were so delicious that they literally begged to be eaten immediately. The next time I make these, I will try the cottage cheese dough, and perhaps a slightly sweeter filling.





Please stop by the Daring Kitchen to catch an eye-full of beautiful pierogi.

3 comments:

brown robin said...

How fun to come see your blog... although it made me very hungry! Thank you for your well wishes. Our gmail is down for some reason so I could respond to your kind comment. Hope that you have a great weekend!

Megan said...

I've never had pierogi - but it sure looks and sounds delicious!

And how nice that you had help - my two helpers seem to have forgotten how to cook!

Tia said...

wow it looks great!!! even tho you were hungry and eager to eat lol.