Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sweet Portuguese Bread

Why is homemade bread so delicious, especially a slightly sweet homemade bread?


This month the Bread Baking Babes played around with Sweet Portuguese Bread. It's been awhile since I joined in, but the timing was just right for August.


Last night I made the sponge. This morning I set out the remaining ingredients so they could come to room temperature. It didn't take long because we are having a heat wave. It didn't take long for the bread to rise, either. After two hours, the dough was ready to overflow my big bowl.





I decided to bake the loaves in cake pans. In preparation, I greased them well and lined the bottom of each pan with parchment paper. In the heat of the early afternoon, they doubled in size in just less than one hour.



Baking was a breeze.





The end result was a light, fragrant, wonderful-tasting bread. I did add some ground flax seed, as was suggested. It gave the bread a nice, speckled appearance without altering the taste.



For the recipe and other Bread Baking Babe details, stop by Tanna's blog, My Kitchen in Half Cups. Thanks for the opportunity to bake along with you.




Now, back for another slice.






4 comments:

TeaLady said...

Your bread came out beautifully. I have never had this bread, may have to make this one soon!

Megan said...

Ooooh - sweet bread. It sounds perfect for toasting with lots of butter.

Or just straight up with Nutella.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Perfect! Looks so pretty.
Love that "back for another slice"! It is that good.

Kayte said...

That is one gorgeous looking bread...wow. This bread is up next for me in BBA using Reinhart's book, so now I am excited to get to it. Thanks for the inspiration.