Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oven-Fried Chicken a la Barefoot Contessa

The second Barefoot Blogger recipe this month was Oven-Fried Chicken.

Basically, you soak chicken in buttermilk, dredge it in flour,



fry it until the outside is golden brown and crispy,




then finish it in the oven so the chicken is cooked through.



I always have buttermilk in the refrigerator because I regularly use it for soaking chicken and making pancakes. Skinless, boneless chicken thighs were my meat of choice. They take less time to cook and the happy eaters don't have to wrestle with bones.


I like Ina's suggestion to deep fry in a very deep pot as opposed to a frying pan. No grease spatters to clean up!

The consensus was that the chicken was delicious, but because it does take extra time and ingredients (aka peanut oil), I would probably make it just for special occasions. Oven-baked chicken is every bit as good and requires a bit less effort.


Thanks to Vicki of
My Fare Lady for a delicious chicken dinner. The recipe can be found in Barefoot Contessa Family Style on page 81, or on the Food Network website.


2 comments:

Megan said...

I have never actually made true fried chicken. I just told the kids yesterday that I'd like to make it, then pack it for a picnic lunch after hiking in the mountains. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Vickie said...

Hi Judy, I'm glad you enjoyed this recipe I like your choice of the chicken thighs, I think they are the moistest and have more flavour, looking at your photo you can't even tell there's no skin on it, great job.