Saturday, December 13, 2008

Spinach, Sicilian style


Recently, when I prepared my rustic pasta meal for Cook the Books, I balanced the main course with a side of spinach. The extra touch of garlic and crushed red pepper was just perfect.



Spinach, Sicilian style

1 pound fresh spinach, about 2 bunches
water
olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper


Wash spinach leaves, discarding any blemished ones. Cut into strips.

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add one teaspoon salt and the spinach. Blanch for only 2 minutes. Remove spinach with slotted spoon, place in a colander, and drain. (I'm sure this step can be streamlined.)

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic. When the garlic starts to turn golden, remove the skillet from the heat, add the spinach, then simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. (It won't take long.) Season to taste. Sprinkle with the crushed red pepper flakes.

Serve hot or at room temperature.




3 comments:

NKP said...

I'm sure this step can be steamlined! Story of my life.
I love spinach and have taken to keeping a box of baby spinach in the fridge at all times - I throw it in everything.
Garlic and red pepper flakes is perfect!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I've sometimes wondered if some foodies knew I 'streamline' blanch/cook my spinach in the microwave I'd probably be out on my ear in the snow.
Always the first in my basket is the baby spinach!
This looks just perfect.

Anonymous said...

I've been craving veggies all week. This sounds like a tasty option.