Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Buttery Jam Cookies

This has been a cookie-baking month so far, and I haven't even gotten around to baking my traditional holiday cookies. Heather of Randomosity and The Girl was the lucky person to choose this week's recipe, so all the TWD bakers worked on Buttery Jam Cookies.



There were mixed results and opinions about these cookies. For me, they didn't come close to equaling the taste and goodness of the previous cookie recipes (Linzer Sables and Grandma's Sugar Cookies). All my cookies were more scone-like, bite-sized, and bumpy-looking, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but they just didn't grab my attention. Although I will say that their flavor improves with age. The 4-day-old cookies taste better than the fresh ones, unless I'm just desperate for cookies.


For the jam component, I used some of the French jam that had made an appearance in the Linzer Sables. It's good jam, and added sweetness to the cookies, but the flavor was lost.



It's always good to try something new, and I'm sure some of the TWD bakers loved these, but I will not be making this recipe again, especially when some of the earlier recipes were clear winners.

12 comments:

Shelby said...

I got a chuckle out of your "desperate for cookies" comment. :)

We actually enjoyed these and Grumpy loved them so I will be keeping this as one to make again!

Katrina said...

Ditto that on the probably won't ever make these again and didn't love them. But am glad I tried another new cookie!

Engineer Baker said...

I think these got better with time too. And I also haven't had time to bake my traditional cookies, thanks to TWD!

NKP said...

I thought they were a little meh too. I ended up putting two together with more jam between for hubby's co-workers, when I saw the look on his face after trying one. Mine didn't taste like much of anything.

Jacque said...

I think the jam definitely had an impact on these cookies. They needed a strong flavor to work.

Your French jam sounds yummy :)

Jamie said...

I have not made these yet, but yours sound yummy.

chocolatechic said...

We just loved these cookies, but I fiddlefarted with the recipe a bit.

Anonymous said...

Yours look lovely. You know...I am going to need to make these on the sly and hide them a few days to see how the flavor improves as many TWDers seem to be commenting on that aspect...with two teenage boys and a cookie loving husband in the house, this little devious bit of planning will take extra thoughtful care and planning! Ours disappeared within the hour...LOL.

Rachel said...

Hi Judy. Just wanted to let you know that the La Cucina roundup is posted over at the Cook the Books blog featuring your lovely pasta.

Tammy said...

I agree, I wont be makinmg these again either

Megan said...

Desperate for cookies? You? I don't think so.

But I do agree, I won't bother with them again.

The Food Librarian said...

The jam looks yummy and what cute packaging. Sorry these weren't your favorite, but they look good!