Monday, December 29, 2008

Cheese Balls



I seem to be having a last-minute end-of-the-year baking/posting frenzy trying to squeeze everything in. I really enjoy participating in the Weekend Cookbook Challenge and it was so easy this month that I saved it for the last possible moment.


Right.


In fact, the recipe is really quick and easy and downright tasty to boot. I really shouldn't have waited until the last minute because now I have a bunch of delicious cheese balls that I will be forced to eat. They go with champagne and New Year's Eve, right? Sara, of i like to cook, came up with the appetizer theme for the last WCC of 2008. I haven't made these in so long, and truly, I don't recall where the recipe originally came from, but I do know it's a good one.

And, all you bakers with extra Rice Krispies floating around from a recent challenge, this is the recipe for you!

Have a happy New Year everyone. Oh, and have a cheese ball, too.



Cheese Rice Krispy Delights

1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup of grated cheese
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 cup of Rice Krispies
(If needed, a few drops of water)

Mix. Form into balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.


I guess that's what instructions were like way back when. Here's what I actually did:

Cream butter with a mixer. Add grated cheese and mix thoroughly. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Add the rice krispies and mix until incorporated, using a spatula to blend in any remaining dry bits. I didn't need to add any extra water.

Form into bite-sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake. Remove to rack to cool. Try not to devour all at once.

Check out the WCC round-up later this week for some great appetizer ideas.


5 comments:

Megan said...

What an unusual recipe - if you didn't endorse it, I probably would have passed it by. But I like all of the ingredients, so why not? Like gougeres,(did I spell that right?) but with crunch!

I'll bet those are great with a bit of cayenne in them, as well!

Anonymous said...

My sister shared this recipe with me a few years ago and they were called "Pennies from Heaven"...she put a pecan half in the middle of each one and I could NOT stop eating them! These are fantastic!

Dewi said...

Hi Judi,
Just a quick note to wish you a happy new year. I wish you and your love one always in a good health, lot's of luck and all beautiful things come in year 2009.

Best wishes,
Elra

Sara said...

Those sound really really good! I'll be trying these. Thanks for sharing with us for WCC! All the best in 2009.

Anonymous said...

Love cheese balls and these sound so interesting!