Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TWD: Honey Nut Brownies

These brownies were a surprise hit. Honey is not the typical ingredient for brownies, especially one whole cup's worth, but the end result was mighty tasty.

I used mesquite honey, which gave an interesting background note to the chocolate. The chocolate flavor was on the mild side.




Instead of using extra pans, I melted the chocolate and butter in my 2-cup pyrex measuring cup, in the microwave, allowing me to pour it right into the sugar/honey/egg mixture.


The texture was extremely moist, somewhere between fudgey and cakey. And like many desserts, it improved with time. Day 3 brownies were still moist with a lovely honey-chocolate flavor.



While the nuts were a nice addition (I used pecans), my daughter thought that replacing them with chocolate chips would augment the mild chocolate flavor. Even so, this dessert disappeared really quickly, a sure sign of approval.

There were definitely strong opinions about this brownie recipe from the other TWD bakers. Stop by the Tuesdays with Dorie blog to see what they had to say.

This week's hostess was Suzy of Suzy Homemaker.

11 comments:

Hindy said...

Your brownies look delicious! I also used pecans and they rose to the top to form a crust.

Cakelaw said...

I have never heard of mesquite honey, but it sounds interesting. Glad you liked these brownies - I did too.

Pamela said...

Well, I am glad I tried them. They weren't a favorite, but it's all about trying new things. And chocolate chips might be an excellent addition

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Yours do look good though. I chose to consider it a cake.

Bella Baker said...

So glad you enjoyed them! They look great! I added choc chips and nuts to mine!

Nicole said...

Yours baked up so nice! Mine were kind of soggy and underbaked. I like baking with honey so I was happy to make these, but I think something was off with my batch.

Peggy said...

I think chocolate chips are an excellent addition to these. Wish I had thought to do that. Your brownies are so perfect looking!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Looking good! All of mine disappeared at work, so I can't say if they were good on Day 3 or not! :)

Flourchild said...

They look perfect! Come see mine soon..Im baking them right now...:)

Suzy said...

Thanks for joining in. They look great!

Kayte said...

They were a surprise hit here as well! Guys just loved them. What a pretty plate...I just love flowers on plates.