Friday, March 11, 2011

FFwD: Beggar's Rotini

Fruit, nuts, and pasta. And lots of butter. Sounds like an interesting combination, but perhaps not for this household. We're not fig lovers, and my daughter doesn't like cooked fruit, especially in savory dishes. So I hadn't really planned to make this.


But, today, there was nothing in the house for lunch.

After perusing the pantry, I thought, well, what the heck, it's only me, and I'm hungry, and I need lunch, and this should be quick.



I played around with the ingredients, substituting dried apricots for the figs, hazelnuts for the pistachios, and rotini for the linguine. I used parsley, fresh from the garden, and orange zest from a recently-picked blood orange.


Well, I have to say, this was a delicious lunch, and it met all my requirements. The saltiness of the browned butter contrasted with the sweetness of the fruit. Divine! This is a definite repeat.



Stop by French Fridays with Dorie to see what the other folks did.




(I'm a tad bit behind on posting: the Orange-Almond Tart went up yesterday; the Savory Cheese & Chive Bread is sitting in the draft box, waiting for commentary. It should be up this weekend.)


8 comments:

Adriana said...

The rotini must have soaked up all the brown butter beautifully!

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad you worked through it - this one was a pleasant surprise, no? Nice substitutions.

Anonymous said...

That bowl of rotini looks fun :) I bet the hazelnuts were great in this dish.

Kayte said...

This dish looks great wearing rotini! I wondered about it as a pasta salad and now I know...YES! Thanks for doing the research. Your subs sound good...I like that there is a bit of play in this recipe even thought I thought it was perfect as written. Love this rotini idea...thank you thank you!

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I was shocked at how delicious it was as well! I bet the apricots were perfect in it - I'll have to remember that for next time! Looks amazing! :)

Steph said...

Oh, I like the rotini idea...the better to soak up all that luscious browned butter!

Unknown said...

I think the rotini was genius. The chopped nuts and fruit must have collected in the folds so easily!

Lana said...

I also bought hazelnuts for this dish (it is my favorite nut!), but I decided not to make it, as husband is allergic to most fruits and nuts, and children are not very enthusiastic about nuts and fruit in savory dishes.
But I am glad that so many people, otherwise skeptical, like the beggar's linguine.