Monday, March 7, 2011

FFwD: One of Those Days




Last week it was my turn to make dessert for my quilt group. A few people don't care for chocolate, so I decided to make the Orange-Almond Tart, one of the February selections for French Fridays with Dorie.


I had some Cara Cara oranges tucked away, so they were tapped for this dessert.

Monday evening I prepared all the ingredients:

the orange segments


the almond filling



and the baked tart shell.



The plan was to get up bright and early on Tuesday morning, assemble the tart, and bake it while getting ready for the meeting.



Everything seemed to be going according to plan.



That is, until the tart had been baking for about 10 minutes.


All of a sudden the power went completely out -- every baker's nightmare.


Did it come back on in a timely manner?

Nope. I left the tart in the oven, then headed off to the grocery store to find a substitute dessert for my meeting. It turned out only four people showed up, so I didn't feel too badly, just frustrated.


When I returned home several hours later, the power was still out. It finally came back on during the early afternoon, after being off for a total of 5 1/2 hours. The first thing I did was turn on the oven and finish baking the tart. It came out just fine, a bit too brown, but that was my error for not compensating for the extra time in the hot oven. It still tasted good.


I will definitely have to bake this again, hopefully under normal conditions. I may leave off the oranges and substitute some other kind of fruit or nut, just for fun. In any case, it's a dessert worth making and sharing.




(Savory Cheese and Chive bread will be the next post.)

2 comments:

Kayte said...

I have never had the power go out like that when I was cooking, but I have had the grill canister go empty and I'm not a fan. Having something go out while baking would be so much worse. High praise for the recipe that you liked it despite all the extra efforts!

Steph said...

Oh Judy, what a pain! Amazing that it turned out ok in the end. What a trooper you are!!