Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TWD: Chocolate Pots de Creme


Okay.

The photos may be boring, but the dessert certainly wasn't.


All I can say is that it disappeared before I could make whipped cream for the decorative topping. That says it all, I think.


I did decide to halve the recipe since I was running low on heavy cream. As a result, I used two egg yolks and one egg in place of the 5 eggs. I also covered the pan with foil rather than plastic wrap, since I didn't want to take chances with either melting or out-gassing plastic.

Next time I'll add a smidgen of coffee or espresso to brighten the flavor of the chocolate.


This recipe compares favorably to my usual one for pots de creme. The only difference is that that one isn't baked, just chilled, so it's quick, easy, and delicious.




This week's hostess was Christine of
BlackCatCooking.

Stop by Tuesdays with Dorie to see more delicious pots de creme.

8 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Glad you loved these. They weren't my cup of tea, but that's just me.

Hindy said...

I love the idea of adding a bit of espresso powder next time!

Peggy the Baker said...

I'm wondering what kind of chocolate you used that you think espresso powder was needed? I must admit that I am not a coffee drinker and have been really skeptical of espresso powder but whenever I've used it, it does seem to amp up the chocolate-y-ness. Hmmmm. You've got me thinking.

Nicole said...

I think these would have been interesting with added flavors like espresso powder or some extracts but I think they were wonderful just as they were.

Tia said...

nice idea to add espresso next time - will try it!
Buttercreambarbie

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really look so good. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time paging through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

mike509 said...

I halfed too and had at least 5.. maybe too small of cups! Glad you enjoyed them - the were pleasantly quite good (wasn't sure at first!). Yes... espresso is a must next time!

Kayte said...

The guys loved these, and I am thinking that coffee idea sounds like a good one.