Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TWD: Cool and creamy


It's Hot here.


Almost too hot to eat, and certainly too hot to turn on the oven.



I can just hear some of you protesting. 'Why, it's only in the upper 80s where you are. How can it be hot? It's over 100 where I live!'



True enough. But near the ocean, hot equals humid and very few houses have air conditioning, and, while it may cool off outside in the evening, the inside is still mighty toasty.


All this is leading up to this week's dessert, a lovely, cool and creamy raspberry blanc-manger. Can I just dive in and feel all that coolness surround me?



This is perfect for hot weather. Thanks to Susan of Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy for a season-appropriate dessert.


Since I always have gelatin on hand as well as almond meal from Trader Joes, it didn't take long to prepare. I made it right before I went to the library for my evening shift. That way it could chill properly and I wouldn't be tempted to unmold it too soon. As an extra help, I lined the pan with plastic wrap, which made the unmolding process effortless. I'm thinking that the next time I make a run to the Nut Shop I'll buy some of this almond meal and make the blanc-manger again with a different berry.



We loved the fresh raspberries, which were easy to find, but I did use frozen ones for the coulis, not wanting to waste any of the fresh ones.


Please join me in discovering what the other TWD bakers thought about this dessert.


11 comments:

Nichicakes said...

beautifully done!

ostwestwind said...

I agree, cool and creamy!

Well done

Ulrike @ Küchenlatein

Kayte said...

Okay, yes, all this looks wonderfully beautiful! Each and every slice gorgeous. Cool and refreshing. You did a perfect job of all of it, and your comment on my blog about trying strawberries would be welcome indeed, let's do that! But what really caught my eye was "library" and you work at a library? If so, lucky, lucky you! Complete library access and this wonderful blanc-manger...be still my heart.

TeaLady said...

Beautiful presentation. I like cool desserts in the summer, especially when it is 102 outside.

Looks fantastic.

Hindy said...

Lovely, especially those pieces striped with coulis! Yay for summer desserts!

Madam Chow said...

We loved it, and I have a special place in my heart for the library! I just checked out 16 books!

Megan said...

Let's not talk about hot, shall we?

I remember last year that your kitchen got above 90 degrees, and your starter (for bread) went bad.

Engineer Baker said...

Heat + humidity = blech! I agree 100% with you there. Although "dry heat" isn't all it's cracked up to be either. Your blancmanger looks wonderful - now I wish I had made the sauce to go on top!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Upper 80's is plenty hot and not really oven weather.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I love the coulis. YUM.

Susan @ SGCC said...

We're suffering through the miserable heat and humidity here too. Ugh!

Glad you liked this one! Love your Blanc-Manger! It looks just perfect! Well done!