Monday, July 27, 2009

Daring Bakers: Cookies, part one




The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.


Because of July's hectic work schedule, I was only able to bake the Milano-style cookies. While I thought they were easy and delicious, I was not pleased with the texture of the cookie part.

I'm sure it was my error -- I beat the heck out of the batter and ended up with twice as many cookies as I had anticipated. Their texture was soft and spongey, certainly not what I had expected, but they still tasted good and the filling was terrific.



So, when my work schedule lightens up, I intend to bake the Marshmallow Cookies, which look and sound divine, and to r
e-do the Milans, aiming for a firmer cookie and more filling.

For August, I'm hoping that some of the projects for job #1 are finally finished and that the schedule for job #2 settles down. Two jobs, while welcome and necessary, are definitely interfering with baking.

Check out the Daring Bakers blogroll for more delicious cookies.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

you do need to try the mallows. they were wonderful!

Megan said...

The milanos being soft was a recurring theme for the db's - based upon everything I've read over the past few days. But the mallow cookies - I'd like to try those too!

Anonymous said...

I only made the milans too. Yours look great. Nice and thin.

Eva said...

i made the mallows but i had a similar experience as you did. mine ended up kinda cakey when i expected them to be crisp. oh well. they still tasted good.

Engineer Baker said...

Huh - mine didn't spread much and were quite crispy. Too weird how the same recipe can do that, huh? But after all the rave reviews, I think I need to try making the mallow cookies, stat!