Friday, July 3, 2009

My Kitchen, My World: Macedonia

Our second destination this month for My Kitchen, My World, was Macedonia. I did an Internet search to see if there was some specialty or distinctive dish for the region, and the closest I came was this pita-filled treat.





Basically, it's a lamb or beef patty, seasoned with lemon, onion, garlic, and oregano, then placed in a pita along with lettuce, tomatoes, feta cheese, and a tzatziki-type sauce (yogurt and cucumbers).


It was quick to prepare and given my recent schedule, that was a good thing! It was also delicious. I had picked up the Persian cucumbers and the fresh tomatoes from the farmers market a few days before. Ordinarily, I would make the pitas from scratch, but because of the time constraint, I used store-bought ones. They were still pretty tasty.

3 comments:

NKP said...

That does sound tasty!

Lisa said...

I love this version of a gyro!! I also love how you filled it up so heartily! My kind of 'gal' :D

Anonymous said...

I love stuffed pitas.