Thursday, November 6, 2008

Updates (TWD et al)



First, the life updates:

I survived jury duty. Three cases required jurors on Tuesday morning, but my name was never among those called. I managed to do some work during the morning session, then walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch. The afternoon waiting session began at 1 pm and time moved slowly. I did manage to read most of a novel, and was nearly finished when the announcement came, at 3:15 pm, that we were released. (Sounds like we were prisoners, no?) Thus ends my service for the next 12 months.


My faith in the law enforcement system here is being strengthened. On Monday, a group of neighbors made contact with the local police to report a suspected drug house that had appeared in our neighborhood. On Tuesday, our 'ringleader' emailed to the police four pages of documentation. On Wednesday, the police asked us to continue our observations but to lay low. After checking the information we provided, the house had become a "house of interest." Today, I spent 20 minutes talking to an undercover detective, who was somewhere in the vicinity, and who spent quite a bit of time in the 'ringleader's' garage, discussing the case and keeping watch. It will be fascinating to see how this is resolved and what the true story is.

But, now to my primary focus here, food. Or shall we say, another version of Rugelach.

While the one's we made this week for TWD were good, I wasn't too sure about them. Now, I should add that I gave my willing neighbor several and asked for her unbiased opinion. My neighbor is basically nondenominational, but her side of the family is primarily Jewish, so lately, I seem to be supplying her with comfort foods. Well, she took one bite of those rugelachs and said they tasted exactly like the ones she remembers growing up, from a family bakery. I must be my taste buds that are out of whack on these, I guess, since she pronounced them to be delicious.


Nevertheless, this afternoon, I made the rugelachs that I have made before. I swear I could eat all of these in an instant without batting an eye. I'm always on the lookout for cookie cookbooks, especially holidays ones, and years ago I ran across this tiny one on Christmas cookies.



The rugelach sounded especially good, so I gave them a try and this recipe has become my favorite.



Rugelach

1 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup butter, melted

Cut butter into flour using two knives, or a pastry cutter, as if making a pie crust. In a separate bowl, beat together egg yolk and sour cream, then add to flour mixture. Mix until blended. Divide dough into three parts. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

Prepare filling by combining sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts. Preheat oven to 357 degrees F.


Working with one portion at a time, roll dough into a circle that is 1/8-inch thick. Brush each circle lightly with melted butter and spread one-third of the filling on each one.


Cut each circle into 16 wedges, and roll each up, starting at the wide end and rolling towards the point. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. (This may take more than 15 minutes, depending on your oven. Just watch them, and remove them when golden.) Cool on racks and store in covered containers (if they last that long).


(I did brush them with some leftover egg wash and sprinkle them with sugar, a la Dorie.)

Makes about 4 dozen.




I did give some to my neighbor, for her comments, which I will hopefully receive tomorrow. This cookies have been a great restorative, so I'm glad to share them with everyone.

Happy Baking!

4 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Great restorative! I like that and the little cookbook! Good recipes and cookies come in small packages.

Sounds like the neighborhood is a TV show! You'll be the baking star!

NKP said...

I am sitting here reading your blog, munching on Australian Kookaburra Strawberry Licorice. (at 8:30 in the morning, is that bad?)
What an amazing flavour!
Anyway, back to you, I am glad you tried the recipe again, to compare. I like the sound of the sour cream in the dough.
So happy that your crises are abating,
cheers, and thank you again.
xoxo

Megan said...

That recipe sounds just like the one my friend makes. I think the addition of sour cream makes them more tender. But that will require further taste testing!

Tracy said...

I have that same little cookbook! I gave it for gifts one year and one friend has made the crescent cookies that are dipped in chocolate every year since then. If I visit you to go to Fabio's restaurant, will you make these for me? :-)