Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Happy Waitress

One of the nice things about working from home is being able to call my own shots. Work when I want, cook when I want, play when I want. I think you get the picture. It's why I look forward to the various Internet cooking events and challenges and then actually have time to participate in most of them. Sometimes the challenges match up with a work-related project as well, which is fun.

This month, I've been working on a travel book with a special section on Diners, which fit right in with the November theme for the Weekend Cookbook Challenge (34): Diner Food. Ani, of Foodie Chickie, is the gracious hostess this month. With all the desserts and dinners I've been creating lately, I searched for a menu item that would work for breakfast or lunch. I came across a reference to a sandwich that sounded interesting and delicious. It's basically an open-faced grilled cheese sandwich with bacon and tomatoes. Since I love grilled cheese, and you can never go wrong with bacon, I knew this was the right choice. While I forgot to add the French Fries in my hunger and excitement, it still made a delicious lunch.


I present to you the Happy Waitress:




Butter and grill two slices of bread. Top with bacon strips and tomato slices followed by a slice of American or Cheddar cheese. Grill or toast until cheese is melted. Serve with French Fries.

Thanks to Ani for hosting and to Sara of i like to cook for creating this event. I look forward to next month.

9 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

To my mind this is a classic! All it needs is a small salad or soup. Great.

Megan said...

Oooh, nothing like a warm toasty grilled cheese sandwich. And bacon- well, that just makes it perfect.

foodiechickie said...

Thanks for participating Judy! Grilled cheese one of my faves!

breadchick said...

I love toasted melted cheese goodness! And with bacon?! BONUS!!

NKP said...

There is something so tender and satisfying about a toasted cheese sandwich. It is one of my favourite lunches, and of course - everything is better with bacon.

Sara said...

Grilled cheese with bacon! Great idea. Thanks for sharing with WCC!

Cynthia's Blog said...

Yesss....bacon. This is an awesome creation.

Joey said...

A little late to the party here, but you could get a Happy Waitress sandwich at diners in NJ, way back into the 70s. So to some that are saying this is a great creation, it's been around a LONG time. And why they never thought of bacon on grilled cheese, which I've been eating since I was a kid, again, way back into the 70s, I'll never know. Maybe it's a Jersey diner thing, and it takes the rest of the world a little to catch up. ;)

Devonian said...

You right it a new jersey diner thing Happy waitress with my grits with cheese & egg over easy on top.