Sunday, November 23, 2008

Think Spice, Think -- Anise



One of my favorite spices has always been anise. While I usually make springerle cookies, this year I wanted to try a different recipe. I ran across a recipe for Rich Anise Cookies, that sounded delicious, so I gave them a try. What's really nice about them is that they are refrigerator cookies, so I can bake them up at a moment's notice, whenever I want a fresh, warm dessert. This is a good thing so I don't eat them all at once!

I'm sending this along to Manuela at Baking History, who is hosting this month's Think Spice event. Be sure and check out her blog for all the entries, and also take a look at Sunita's blog. Sunita started the event and there are always wonderful and spice-laden recipes at her site.


Rich Anise Cookies

2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
3 ounces of cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons anise seeds, crushed

Sift together the flour and salt and set aside.

Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat well.

Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, mixing well. Stir in the anise seeds.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a roll, 2-inches in diameter. Wrap the rolls tightly in waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Cut the rolls into 1/8-inch slices. Place the rounds about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on racks. Makes about 6 dozen.

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I do think it's grand to have fresh baked cookies at the ready. These look beautifully rich.

Marthe said...

I left you an award on my blogsite.... come on over and pick it up when you can!

NKP said...

I love spice cookies the best, (them and oatmeal raisin......or oatmeal raisin with spices.....)
anyway, they sound great - pass me one?

Megan said...

I love spice cookies, but I can't stand anise. It's the licorice thing - yuck. But I'll bet any other spice would be great in there.

NKP said...

Judy, my starter began like yours. After the first 24 hours, I used my hand to stir it as it was pretty well a solid ball. It relaxes later.
Natashya
livinginthekitchenwithpuppies AT hotmail DOT com

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Judy I just saw your comment on Natashya's post. My starter was ultra stiff to and I followed Gorel's idea to add enough liquid to make it more mush like. It seems like it has worked either way. I'm going to do it again when I get home. Good luck with it.