Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bread Baking Day 14: Colored Breads Two


Since I began the month of November featuring a colored bread, I decided to end the month with one more, mainly because I found the beet powder in the pantry. After I had use all the beet juice from my canned beets. Powder is certainly the easiest way to go.

Rather than bake another yeast bread, I chose to use a recipe for baking powder biscuits that I have been making for over 40 years. It's simple and delicious. It's one of the first breads I ever learned to make and I'm still using the recipe today. This time I just added some of the beet powder along with the flour.


These biscuits are good hot or cold and they disappear quickly.




Just in the nick of time, I'm sending these along to Bread Baking Day #14, hosted by Boaz of Grain Power. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's colored breads.


Baking Powder Biscuits

1 cup unsifted flour
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons powdered milk
3 tablespoons shortening
1/3 cup water


Measure and sift the dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until the mixture is the consistency of coarse corn meal. Add the water and stir gently until blended. Make the dough into a ball and knead gently, 8 to 10 times. Form into a ball and press it until it is about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 9 pieces. Place on the baking sheet, 1/2-inch apart. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F. Cool on rack or eat them all up quickly, slathered with butter.



(Hey, this was from my high school Home Ec class. Writing wasn't very sophisticated back then!)

1 comment:

Engineer Baker said...

See, I should have just decided to do a quick bread like that. I just ran out of time to do this month's BBD, but those look wonderful. And so pink!