Tuesday, November 18, 2008

TWD: Arborio Rice Pudding


I've eaten a lot of rice this week, helped along by our TWD pick of the week: Arborio Rice Pudding, chosen by Isabelle of Les Gourmandises d' Isa. I still have more rice dishes to go. Some weeks are like that. I usually have a variety of rices on hand: Basmati, brown, and Arborio, since it is a versatile grain.

While I decided to make just half a recipe, I kept the full amount of rice, since it was only 1/4 cup. I was skeptical that such a small amount of rice would really absorb over 3 cups of milk, and after reading comments on the P&Q, that was confirmed. It only took the rice about 35 minutes to cook, so perhaps a longer cooking time would help evaporate the larger amount of liquid. My end result was a nice thick rice pudding, not soupy at all.


I divided the pudding into two parts to try some different flavor combinations. For the first one, I whipped some heavy cream and folded it into the pudding, then sprinkled the top with nutmeg. It reminded me of fluffy tapioca, which I love.



To the remaining pudding, I added some raspberries, since I was in a fruity mood rather than a chocolate one. Chocolate just seemed a bit heavy to me and I felt the fruit would give the pudding a bright touch. The basic rice pudding is such a blank slate, so playing around is encouraged.



For other tasty renditions, check out the other TWD blogs.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love your ideas for that first pudding. And I totally agree that the amount of rice called for in the recipe is too small!

chocolatechic said...

It looks like a cloud.

NKP said...

Love the raspberries! They would be so nice and tart against the creamy pudding.

Marthe said...

Although I don't like rice pudding your version with the raspberries looks good enough to eat!!

Isabelle Lambert said...

superbe avec les framboises :)

Megan said...

Yes, raspberries are a splendid addition. Although I went the chocolate route, and mine flopped horribly.

It won't deter me from trying again, though.

Anonymous said...

The raspberries look delicious. Your rice pudding looks perfect. YUM!

Engineer Baker said...

Both of those variations sound wonderful. I'm a fan of thicker rice puddings, so halving the liquid in this probably would have made me like it more.

Tammy said...

teh pink pudding looks so pretty!

kimberly salem said...

good idea to double the rice, i will definitely do that next time. it looks delicious with the berries!

The Food Librarian said...

I love the addition of the raspberries. That pretty much makes it health food to me!

Pamela said...

Not really a big rice pudding fan, but the raspberry one looks pretty darned good to me!

Heather B said...

Yours looks delicious! What a great idea to halve the liquid! I wish I would have done that!