Tuesday, October 28, 2008

TWD: Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes



There was quite a bit of discussion this week about the Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes, chosen by Clara of I Heart Food4Thought: they were too dry, they sunk, or they were just right; there were many suggested ingredient substitutions. With very few exceptions, for the first time through, I usually make a recipe by-the-book. That’s the only way I know what actually does or doesn’t work, or whether I’d change the flavor in any way. After that initial run-through, my benchmark if you will, then the recipe is fair game. Of course, all those comments were like a line in the sand to me – I had to bake it straight just to see for myself.



The verdict? For me, they turned out perfectly. They were moist, they didn’t sink, and the flavor was fine. This could be because 1. I weighed my KA flour (4.5 ounces); and 2. I baked them for 20 minutes. The ganache frosting was quick and easy, especially when I just dipped the cupcakes into the bowl. It was probably my favorite part of the cupcake, so I will definitely use it again for future cupcakes.



These were good enough, and simple enough, that I will make them again. Then I’ll play with flavors, kicking it up a notch, adding coffee or mint, or adding a filling, or using a different icing. (It seems I missed the suggestion about decorating for Halloween. Ooops. Well, they didn't last that long anyway.)




For sure, this time, there will be as many opinions as bakers, so I’d suggest settling in and reading the results on the TWD blogs.

14 comments:

Shelby said...

your cupcakes look great!

Pamela said...

They look good and it sounds like you enjoyed them. I thought they were good. Now I want to make them again filled with Fluff, just to see how they turn out.

The Food Librarian said...

Your cupcakes look just perfect! Glad they worked out for you!

Marthe said...

They look great, glad you liked them! Mine were gone in a heartbeat.

chocolatechic said...

I love your little sprinkles.

Way cute!

Megan said...

Yes, yours look perfect, as always!

I've seen lots of people putting fillings in so that might solve the dryness problem.

CB said...

I did the same thing. Baked for 20 minutes, weigh my flour around 5oz and mine turned out awesome. Glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for baking with me this week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

kimberly salem said...

cute sprinkles! :) glad the recipe worked as written for you, they look tasty.

Engineer Baker said...

Too funny - I baked these before all of the doomsday comments on the P&Q and mine turned out perfectly too! Maybe there was jinxing involved?

Anonymous said...

So pretty! The recipe worked for me, too. Go figure. ;)

Unknown said...

Your glaze looks so shiny and perfect. Nice job!

ostwestwind said...

Your cupcakes looks very chocolatey and the recipe worked for us.

Great work

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Anonymous said...

I think the addition of mint would be awesome on these cupcakes! Especially around the holidays!

LyB said...

Beautiful! I so loved these cupcakes and I only changed a few things. I'll be making these again too. :)