Thursday, October 16, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers Bonus: Cheese Danish

This month’s Barefoot Bloggers Bonus recipe was chosen by Val of More Than Burnt Toast and it gave me another opportunity to use the puff pastry that I had purchased from Trader Joe’s. This recipe makes preparing Danish a snap – why would you even consider buying it anymore when this is so easy and you can make whatever flavor combination you choose?


I made one small change in the basic recipe, substituting cottage cheese for the ricotta. I just couldn’t justify buying a carton of ricotta for one tablespoon of ingredient, when I figured cottage cheese, which I had on hand, was an acceptable substitute. While the filling was a bit on the runny side, it did firm up nicely when baked. I suspect this was due to the fact that I used one whole egg. One of the things about Ina’s recipes that puzzles me is her consistent use of extra large eggs. They aren’t easy to find here, and I always have several cartons of large eggs available anyway. It just seems crazy to me when large eggs are the standard.


In the end the Danishes turned out deliciously, and since they are so quick to prepare, I’ll make sure I have puff pastry dough in the freezer at all times. Visit the Barefoot Bloggers site to see what the other bakers did and what the upcoming recipes are going to be.


The recipe for Easy Cheese Danish can be found in Barefoot Contessa at Home.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look wonderful - I'm glad cottage cheese worked, as it is a bit annoying to have to buy ricotta for 1 TB. I read somewhere that Ina loves extra large eggs because they're a better value or something. I don't know about that, but I wish she would just use large like the rest of the world! I tend to just use large eggs up to 4, then add an extra egg if 5 or more are needed.

chocolatechic said...

I used cottage cheese instead, too. I drained it and mashed it with a fork.

Suzie said...

I agree that this recipe will be made again and again. Yours look lovely.

Tami said...

Simply beautiful!

Deb in Hawaii said...

It was a great recipe. Cottage cheese was a good idea. I already needed some ricotta for another recipe but cottage cheese would be great if I didn't! Love them on the blue plate.

Megan said...

I made these last year, and the filling was runny for me as well. Which is probably why I didn't bother making them again.

I love the idea of them, though.

PS - Do you have a rye bread recipe that you are willing to share? I want to surprise my husband - it's his favorite!!

Prudy said...

Hooray Judy-I was so glad to read that you were a fan of Wilkie Collins also. Your danishes look so lovely! I'm inspired to try them now.

Anne said...

Your danish looks perfect! I used cottage cheese since I didn't want to buy the whole thing for just a bit! I always laugh at Ina's insistence on extra large eggs, too. Oh well, her recipes are the best!

webbie said...

I used the ricotta but only used large eggs. And I sprinkled with sugar too. Yours look great!