Saturday, October 25, 2008

BBB Buddy: Challah


About one year ago I made the challah bread from Reinhart's Bread Bakers Apprentice. It's such a stunning bread, and a delicious one at that. So when the Bread Baking Babes presented challah as their October challenge, I was ready for the task, both for baking and comparing recipes. As I recall, I made two loaves from the BBA recipe; Reinhart calls the double-stranded loaf a Celebration Challah, with good reason. Also, the BBA recipe doesn't use saffron. I'm not sure it added anything to the bread, certainly not flavor or color, so I'd be inclined to omit it in the future.



My lucky neighbor has been visiting family in Las Vegas all week, but she did arrive home late yesterday afternoon, just in time to receive one of my fresh-out-of-the-oven loaves of challah. She terms it Comfort Food and gladly accepted. I suspect that's what she had for dinner last night.



I love playing around, even on the peripery, with the Bread Baking Babes, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the next challenge will be. This month's bread recipe was selected by Sara of i like to cook, so you can check out the challah recipe and the breads of the other BBBs at her site.

6 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

This looks sooooo delicious! I love challah but never made it. Your bread is beautiful!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

My thought exactly on the saffron Judy! I thought it might give some color but I think it's more likely from all the eggs. Whatever it is a bread to celebrate!
Great fun to take something so showy out of the oven!!

Anonymous said...

Judy, that looks soooo good - I hope to make it in the next few days!

Lien said...

Your bread looks really amazing! Very very well done.

Sara said...

Beautiful bread! I am looking forward to making this one again and again.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Judy, your braid looks very, very good. Wasn't this a lovely recipe?