Thursday, October 23, 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Vegetable Pot Pie


So, I'm a bit late in preparing and posting this week's Vegetable Pot Pie from the Barefoot Bloggers. Truth is, I'm still trying to recover from the cold-like illness I've been fighting for nearly three weeks. Over all I'm getting better, but every few days I have a "set back" day. Yesterday was a set back day where the mere thought of food was difficult. Therefore, I postponed my baking by one day in the hopes I would feel better.

This morning I had arranged an outing with one of my friends. We drove to Santa Barbara to view an art quilt show, stopping for lunch along the way. I love art quilts, and many of these were very inspiring.


When I returned home, I knew my appetite had returned, so rather than go to work (tsk tsk), I decided to take my time and prepare the pot pie for dinner.


I'm very glad I did.



I really loved this pot pie. It came together nicely, and I only made a few minor changes. First, I cut the recipe in thirds, giving me just enough for two meals. Next, although I had no licorice-flavored liqueur, I did have anise oil, so I substituted a few drops of that. Finally, I used Brussels sprouts instead of asparagus. I love asparagus, and I'm sure that butternut squash and asparagus make a tasty combination, but really, one is a fall/winter vegetable and one is a spring vegetable. I try to eat seasonally, hence the switch to Brussels sprouts.



The end result was delicious, with a great pot pie feel to it. I suspect that it would be equally tasty by adding chicken or sausage or tuna to create more variations. Please check out the other Barefoot Bloggers to see their takes on this pot pie, and a big thanks to Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for a good recipe choice.

(Joke's on me: I just realized as I typed this up that I forgot the cream. Shoot. Well, it was still delicious!)



Oh, and that's a carrot-shaped cutout on the top of the crust. Not a slug.

6 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

We could probably all benefit from forgetting the cream--I cut mine in half. Great job with the recipes--love the cutouts. Glad you liked it too!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Forgot the cream! What a good girl! I'm always amused at cutting sugar and fat from so many recipes and they are still heavenly.
Everyone of these veggie Barefoot pies I'm seeing is making me hungry for one and I think yours maybe the one that's pushed me over.
Beautiful pie and I like the carrot cut out.
Hope there are no more set back days now.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Oh, you make me laugh! A bread breather indeed: with two starters on my counter, a dough challenge in one refrigerator and a 3 liter chunk of dough to bake in the other refrigerator, it's smelling very yeasty here.

I always look forward to your breads

Dewi said...

Your vegetables pot pie looks mighty delicious. Perfect comforting food for autumn.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I had an attitude problem making this. I'm over it now!

Suzie said...

Looks great - I loved the flavour too. Hope you are all recovered now.