Monday, July 28, 2008

TWD: Summer Fruit Galette


Apples, you say?


Summer, you say?


But, of course, I say!


These are Anna Apples, given to me this weekend by the same friend who gave me boysenberries several recipes ago. Here is a bit of background on this variety of apple:


Anna Apple is green with red blush. Sweet, crisp, flavorful; best fresh or cooked. Heavy crops even in low desert of southern CA or AZ; good keeper. Self-fertile or pollinated by Dorsett Golden. Zones 5-9. 200 chill hours required. Harvest July 1 - July 15.


This week’s TWD recipe was brought to you by Michelle of Michelle in Colorado Springs: the Summer Fruit Galette. I love galettes. They are almost easier than pies, and have a pleasant, rustic feel to them. I’ve made them with a variety of fruits, but never quite like this, with the added custard.


I missed the Saturday farmers market this week because of a planned trip to Long Beach, and I didn’t really want to use store-bought fruit, assuming it would even ripen in time. But when my friend came to pick me up, she brought a bag of Anna apples with her, so the light bulb went on, so to speak, and I knew they would be the focus of my galette.



I did sauté the apples briefly in some butter and sugar so they would be cooked through.



In place of jam, I finished off a jar of Cinnamon Candy Apple Butter,


and in place of the graham cracker crumbs, I used some of the plain bread crumbs that I had used in the blueberry pie. They would serve the purpose of absorbing extra juices without affecting the flavor.




When it came time to pour on the custard, I ended up using it all, and nothing leaked out. The final result was about as perfect as it comes.




Thanks, Michelle. This was a great choice for an easy, delicious summer dessert, and you’re bound to see all kinds of variations when you visit the other TWD blogs.



17 comments:

CRS said...

Your galette came out perfect. Great work!

Sihan said...

wow..sounds like the perfect ending! congrats! cinammon candy apple butter? wonder where did you get that from! sounds heavenly.

Anyhow, hope that you enjoyed the galette!

ostwestwind said...

Your palette looks gorgeous, even with the custard :-)

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Susie Homemaker said...

wow - all those subs sound great!! and it looks perfect!

Megan said...

Picture perfect - and I'll bet it tasted wonderful.

I love apples, and the best ones I ever had were ones we picked at a farm in upstate NY.

Of course, you can get wonderful fruits where you are. I am very jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! And that apple butter sounds AMAZING - I'd love to have some of that! :)

Anonymous said...

I just made a galette this past weekend but I cheated and made it with puff pastry because I'm still afraid of making my own dough! Your apple galette looks wonderful.

Engineer Baker said...

Okay, cinnamon candy apple butter? Summer apples? This is so very unfair.

Anonymous said...

I want to eat your galette RIGHT NOW! Apples with Cinnamon Candy Apple Butter? Are you SERIOUS!? I am so jealous I didn't get to eat it!

Christine said...

Your galette came out perfect! The candy apple butter sounds out of this world!

Anonymous said...

This recipe was amazing - it's our favorite so far!

Heather B said...

It looks delicious! Great job!

Pamela said...

Cinnamon Candy Apple Butter?? That sounds incredible! Great job on this beautiful galette.

Anonymous said...

Dang! Your version sounds so good! Looks tasty.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Your pleats look great! Apple looks yummy!

Ellen and Tom said...

Nice variation with the apple butter! And your galette's "pleats" look great.

Bungalow Barbara said...

So pretty! And it sounds so tasty, too. You have apples already, amazing!